- Channa Dal - 2 cups
- Onion - 1 small
- Green chillies -2 (chopped finely)
- Dry red Chillies -5 or 6
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Cloves - 4
- Ginger - 1 medium piece
- Curry leaves -a springy red
- Hing - a pinch
- Soak channa dal and dryred chillies in water for atleast 3 hrs .Drain it completely and keep aside.
- To the Soaked channa dal and dry red chillies add cuin,ginger,hing,curry leaves and cloves..
- Grind this channa dal in 2 batches .Grind one batch finely and another batch coarsely just few pulses..don't add water while grinding
- Now mix both the batches and add chopped onion ,g.chillies ,and few curry leaves (roughly chopped),salt and mix well.
- Make even size ball out of this channa dal mixture.
- Now heat oil in a pan for deep frying...once oil is hot flatten the balls and deep fry it.make sure to reduce the flame to medium once vadai is dropped into the oil..
- Deep fry it till the vadai becomes brown on both sides...
- Make sure u drain the water from the channa dal completely before grinding it..