- Pumpkin-1 small
- Chick pea -1 cup
- Coconut -1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies- 3 or 4 + 1 (adjust according to ur spice level)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seed -1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Soak chickpea in water overnight and Pressure Cook them till soft , about 3 whistles on high flame.
- And Cut the pumpkin into bite size pieces and cook them till 3/4 done.
- For the masala Grind the coconut,cumin and dry redchillies to a smooth paste.
- In a pan heat oil and season it with mustard seeds ,curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Once the mustard seeds starts to crackle add the cooked chickpeas.
- Add the 3/4 cooked pumpkin.
- Now add the coconut masala.
- Mix well to incorporate the masala .
- Cook till the raw smell of the masala goes.
- And the excess water from the chickpea and pumpkin evaporates...can drizzle some oil at this stage..and switch off the flame..
- This pumpkin and chickpea kootu goes well as a side dish with rice and some spicy gravy like kara kuzhambhu, poondu kuzhambhu, Theeyal, Spicy fish curry, etc...for kids u can mix this with rice and little ghee...this curry is really yummmy ...guys if u have not tried this combo...do it ....u'll not be dissappointed... enjoy:)
Sending this to vardini's Halloween Fiesta 2011